Important Info for the 2019 Season
- We are targeting Parent Information Nights for May 6th and May 7th at 7pm, location TBD.
- We must raise registration fees this year to help cover more costs as we continue to focus on initiatives to lead the way in safety across the program. Early Registration will be $220 from May 1st – May 21st and will rise to $260 on May 22nd. Jerseys will continue to be $45 and will be purchased separately. We will likely change styles yet again due to issues with jerseys last year. If you purchased a jersey last year, they may be worn again this year.
- For grades 6th-8th, we are excited to roll out the Riddell In-Site technology. These are liners which will be installed in all helmets at these grades. This technology will help us monitor the level of contact the boys have during practices and games. We will provide more detail on this technology at our Parent Information nights and encourage you to attend. You can also get more information at http://www.riddell.com/insite
- We have added two more towns to the league (Flemington and Port Reading) which brings our total number to 22 towns. This year, rather than playing an extra round of crossover playoffs, we will have two Super Bowls, one for each conference. This will shorten the playoffs by a week. The All-Star game will continue to be hosted the third weekend after the season and will no longer interfere with the Super Bowls.
- The season starts late this year, as Thanksgiving is later. First practice will not be until August 19thand the first game will not be until Sunday, September 15th and will end November 3rd.
- We will be co-hosting a Combine again with the High School football program on June 12th. Grades 3rd through 12th will be invited. More details to come soon.
- Book your calendars for a SAFE football clinic on Sunday, June 23rd at NPHS. There will be a later afternoon and an early evening session and we ask that all fall tackle players plan on attending.
Looking forward to the upcoming season. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Please share with anyone new players you think may be interested in playing this fall.
See you at the Parent Information nights.
General Program Info
The NPPAL Football program’s primary goal is to develop kids to be good teammates and good young men. We not only want to teach them the fundamentals of the game of football, but more important qualities like leadership, trust, respect, discipline, and perseverance.
What makes football so great? Football requires all 11 players to execute simultaneously on every play. Everyone must do their job for the play, the team, to succeed. You must trust in each other and every player must know their responsibility and learn how to execute it to the best of their ability. The smallest of execution details of all 11 players can decide the success or failure on every single play.
Competitive team sports like football emphasize the needs of the team over self. Football players have to depend, trust and work together in order to function well as a team, those are all great skills for a child to take forward into his education life, work life and even home life.
In youth football you have to put in the work over the course of an entire season or a number of seasons in order to get a positive result. If you choose not to put the work in or take shortcuts, in the end, the results aren’t going to be very good. Understanding and buying into delayed gratification is one of the biggest benefits from playing this game.
In addition, we will stress the fundamentals of the game and the development of every player. Additionally, we work very closely with the high school program to ensure the kids are learning proper and safe fundamentals and will be prepared to enter the New Providence High School Football Program.
We belong to the New Jersey Suburban Youth Football League (NJSYFL). The league is made up of 16 teams, made up of two divisions. The teams in our division include Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Millburn, Kenilworth, Springfield, Parsippany and Perth Amboy. The majority of our games are played against these teams. You can find out more information regarding the league under the Rules section or on their website at njsyfl.com.
Commissioner: Brian Woodby (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary: Katie Graziano
Fall Flag Program: Chris Stieh
Equipment: James LaRubbio
Treasurer: Stew Sheeran
Concessions/Fundraising: Chris Keneally
Communication: Steve Kowantz
League Rep: Tony Kaspereen
8th Grade – Current Estimate 24-28 players
Head Coach: Vinnie Carangelo
7th Grade – Current Estimate 19-23 players
Head Coach: TBD
6th Grade – Current Estimate 24-28 players
Head Coach – Mark Botvinis
5th Grade – Current Estimate 15-16 players
Head Coach – Rich Heffernan
4th Grade – Current Estimate 24-28 players
Head Coach – TBD
Fall Tackle and Flag Registration starts May 1st – See Key Dates for more details Spring Flag Program – Registration starts May 1st – See Key Dates for more details We will be hosting two short 4 session flag program in June. One program is open to ALL current 3rd-6th Graders and the other is open to ALL current 1st-2nd Graders . On each date, new teams will be selected from those present. This will be a FLAG football game for the kids to just have fun playing the game of football. There will be no hitting or tackling allowed. Players are free to participate on all four dates or just one, this is about having fun.
2018 Fall Tackle Registration (Fall Grades 4-8)
- Early Registration May 1– May 22 ($175)
- Standard Registration May 23 – June 19 ($215)
- Game Jerseys are not included this year in the registration fee. If you need a new Game Jersey, they can be purchased through CommunityPass for $45. Determinations will be finalized at Equipment Handouts.
- PLEASE NOTE: Late registration requests will be accepted from June 20 through August 14, but these late registrations will be subject to roster availability. Any registration received after June 19 will be placed on a waitlist and available roster spots will be filled in order.
- Heads-Up Tackling Skills and Conditioning Clinic (Encouraged for those in town and not on vacation, NOT REQUIRED)
- August 7-10 – M-Th 6-7:30pm
- Conditioning and Skills Preseason Practices (Dates and Times are tentative)
- August 14-17 – M-Th 6-7:30pm
- August 21-24 – M-Th 6-7:30pm
- August 28-31 – M-Th 6-7:30pm
- League-Wide Scrimmage – Mandatory
- August 27 (Time/Location TBD)
- Regular Season Practice (Dates and Times are tentative)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-8pm
- Saturdays 8:30am-10:30am
- Regular Season Games (Dates and Times are tentative)
- Every Sunday from September 10th – October 29th
- Times vary by grade, but generally start between 9am and 3:30pm and last about 1 to 1 ½ hours. Once a time is set for that grade it generally is consistent for the year, but can shift some for any given week.
- Playoffs, if a team makes the playoffs, the games are generally held each of the next 3 weeks and you must win each week to advance.
- 8th Grade All-Star Game is November 18 and each town nominates four 8th grade players to participate.
- Free Heads-Up Tackling and Football Skills Clinic
- August 7-August 10, 6pm-7:30pm
2018 Fall Flag Registration (Fall Grades K-3)
- Normal Registration May 1 – June 19 ($125)
- Late Registration June 20-July 31 ($140)
- PLEASE NOTE: Late registration requests will be subject to a $15 late fee and will only be considered based upon roster availability. Although “last chance registration” is offered, spots on teams cannot be guaranteed after the normal registration period. Wait lists will be created for late-registering players.
2018 Spring Flag Varsity Program (Current Grades 3-6)
- Registration May 1 – June 6 ($20)
- June 2, 5, 12 and 15
- At Lieder Field
- We will be hosting a short 4 session flag program in June. This program is open to ALL current 3rd-6th Graders. On each date, new teams will be selected from those present. This will be a FLAG football game for the kids to just have fun playing the game of football. There will be no hitting or tackling allowed. Players are free to participate on all four dates or just one, this is about having fun.
2018 Spring Flag JV Program (Current Grades 1-2)
- Registration May 1 – June 6 ($20)
- May 31 at Warner Field; June 5, 12 and 19 on Grove Field
- We will be hosting a short 4 session flag program in June. This program is open to ALL current 1st-2nd Graders. On each date, new teams will be selected from those present. This will be a FLAG football game for the kids to just have fun playing the game of football. There will be no hitting or tackling allowed. Players are free to participate on all four dates or just one, this is about having fun.
Fall Tackle Program Rules
Younger grades will focus more on development and more equal playing time while the older grades will become more competitive. However, all players are expected to play and contribute at every level. It is important to note that playing time can be affected by player non-adherence to the expectations and guidelines set out by the coaches at the beginning of the season. When this occurs, players and parents will be notified.
Fall Flag Program Rules
- There is to be no tackling of ball carriers or attempts to knock them to the ground
- All players should be provided with equal playing time and equal opportunities to carry the ball
Spring Flag Program Rules
- The NJSYFL generally follows NJHS rules governing football, with the exception of certain level (grade) specific rules
- One of the primary rule differences relates to the age and grade of participants at each level as well as the weight of any player eligible to handle the ball. The following table defines the weight, grade and age requirements for each level:
[table id=1 /][table id=2 /]You can find more details at njsyfl.com/rulebook.php
Richmond Boro (2)
- Berkeley Heights: 175 Watchung Blvd, Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922
- Bloomfield: Pkway North exit 148 (JFK pky straight to T intersection turn left then right (you just went over the parkway) continue 1 mile, cross over Belleville Ave and field is on your right.)
- Chatham: 314 Shunpike Road, Chatham, NJ 07928
- Cranford: 401 Centenial Ave, Cranford, NJ 07016
- Kenilworth: David Brearley High School, 401 Monroe Avenue, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
- Millburn: Millburn High School, 462 Millburn Ave, Millburn, NJ 07041
- Morristown: Morristown High School, 50 Early Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
- New Providence: Lieder Field – New Providence High School, 1400 Springfield Ave, New Providence, NJ 07974
- Parsippany: Parsippany PAL Building, 33 Baldwin Road, Parsippany, NJ 07054
- Perth Amboy: 300 Eagle Road, Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
- Richmond Boro: Msr. Farrell High School, 2900 Amboy Road, Staten Island, NY 10306
- Richmond Boro: Poly Prep – 9216 Seventh Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11228
- Scotch Plains: Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, 641 Westfield Road, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
- Sparta: Pope John High School, 28 Andover Road, Sparta, NJ 07871
- Springfield: 139 Mountain Ave, Springfield, NJ 07081
- Summit: Metro Home Field, 30 Butler Parkway, Summit, NJ 07091
- Westfield: Kehler Stadium, 750 Rahway Avenue, Westfield, NJ 07090